GH-Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guiding Light Cancelled-What does this mean for General Hospital and other soaps?

+3
mackenzie2184
samizgh
KegVaughanacoRocks
7 posters

Go down

Guiding Light Cancelled-What does this mean for General Hospital and other soaps? Empty Guiding Light Cancelled-What does this mean for General Hospital and other soaps?

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 pm

After more than 70 years, Guiding Light has been cancelled. Proctor & Gamble is attempting to find another home for the soap, whether it be a cable channel or possibly online, but there is no guarantee that a home will be found.

What could this mean for other soaps? GH has been losing viewers week after week, as has AMC and OLTL. Sure, they all flucuate from time to time and have a boost here and there, but overall viewership for soaps as a whole is diminishing. With the economy in its downward spiral, with advertisers pulling their dollars, and networks making cuts left and right, how much longer will our beloved soap genre be able to continue? Reality TV, game shows, news programs, and talk shows are all cheaper to produce than soap operas.
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 6295
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Guiding Light Cancelled-What does this mean for General Hospital and other soaps? Empty Re: Guiding Light Cancelled-What does this mean for General Hospital and other soaps?

Post  samizgh Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:06 am

I hope GH never gets canceled.
samizgh
samizgh
Hitman
Hitman

Female
Number of posts : 3842

https://gh-jokers.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Guiding Light Cancelled-What does this mean for General Hospital and other soaps? Empty Re: Guiding Light Cancelled-What does this mean for General Hospital and other soaps?

Post  mackenzie2184 Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:24 am

Sooner or later, GH will get cancelled. I just don't see it happening now, I mean sure the ratings and stories aren't that good, but GH is trying.
mackenzie2184
mackenzie2184
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-10-13

http://artistic-designs.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post  samizgh Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 am

mackenzie2184 wrote:Sooner or later, GH will get cancelled......

lalala lalala lalala lalala lalala lalala
samizgh
samizgh
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnnyAngel Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

I recently read an interview with James Scott ( EJ DiMera on Days) where he predicted that alllllll daytime soaps will be gone in 2 years & he is planning for his future accordingly.

I believe that another network (or SoapNet) will pck up Guiding Light in an effort to keep the tradition & record alive. Here's hoping anyways.
JohnnyAngel
JohnnyAngel
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female
Number of posts : 1088

Back to top Go down

Post  mackenzie2184 Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:15 pm

samizgh wrote:
mackenzie2184 wrote:Sooner or later, GH will get cancelled......

lalala lalala lalala lalala lalala lalala

Nothing lasts for ever including soap operas.
mackenzie2184
mackenzie2184
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-10-13

http://artistic-designs.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post  clarityfades Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:00 pm

Nothing lasts forever, true...but to see the soaps gone forever would be sad. They've lasted for the last three-quarters of a century...GH alone just celebrated its 46th year on the air. I don't want to see it going anywhere. I think James Scott is wrong...I think soaps will be around for another 5-7 years...but the last few years, all soaps will move to SoapNet. That'll be the last ditch effort to keep the soaps alive.
clarityfades
clarityfades
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 5584
Location : In Ric's bed...with Ian, Lucky, Nik & Sonny...yes, I'm greedy

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnnyAngel Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 pm

...I think soaps will be around for another 5-7 years...but the last few years, all soaps will move to SoapNet. That'll be the last ditch effort to keep the soaps alive.

I think you are probably very correct in that asessment, C.
JohnnyAngel
JohnnyAngel
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:27 pm

I know this sounds terrible, but does anyone think that GH may get a ratings boost from GL viewers looking to still watch a soap at that time of day? I hope they take this possibility into consideration around September (when the last episodes are airing), because if the stories aren't good any boost will only be temporary.

On a slightly different subject but not entirely unrelated, how could GH and soaps in general keep themselves on air as long as possible? I had to drive to training this morning, and was thinking about this on my way.

I personally think that product placement needs to be implemented as a way to raise funds. I do not think that the type of product placement we've seen recently for Campbell's products is the way to go, but a variety of products displayed prominently in the background of places would work nicely.

Kelly's Diner could feature Pepsi or Coke products with signage and a soda fountain similar to what we see in every fast food restaurant in America with the brand displayed at the top; Crimson could run Revlon, CoverGirl, Maybelline, or whatever makeup brand in their issues and have a display in the office; instead of only having models photos with Crimson printed on them as decoration, they could display the ads in the background (that would actually be more believable and realistic); the fifty million homes in Port Charles that have a bar in the living room stocked with bottled water could be a real brand, preferably the same brand that Kelly's features (Pepsi makes Aquafina and Coke bottles Dasani).

As far as I know, this is very common in movies and is becoming more common in television, so why not use it in daytime? I believe they simply have a deal with the advertiser for a minimum of time each episode/week/month that their product is featured. Unlike the Campbell's placement that turned many viewers off, this is unobtrusive and cost efficient.
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:49 pm

I can't believe I forgot about this idea! While this wouldn't necessarily bring in more money, it could boost ratings.

ABC has recently started airing Scrubs, so an obvious tie-in would be to have an episode where one of the characters is addicted to GH, particularly Scrubs (Patrick and Robin)! I don't watch the show, so I'm not sure exactly how this would work because I don't know the characters well, but it should be easy. They did it years ago on Roseanne a few times, featuring GH, Luke and Laura, and OLTL. There may have been more that I'm forgetting.

Anyway, the show could end with one of the characters getting a chance to somehow meet Robin and/or Patrick. This could easily attract loyal Scrubs (the show) viewers to tune in and see who this 'Scrubs' is, and it could poke a little fun at themselves in the process!

The problem I see with this idea is that currently Patrick and Robin are in a very serious, depressing s/l. For this to work, they would need to be in a silly, lighthearted, comedic story at the same time. They could eventually work their way back to a serious story, but in order to get those viewers attention they would need to see both Patrick and Robin as likeable and enjoyable. After the audience knew more about the characters and cared about them, they would stay for the more dramatic stories.

It could also prove to be an effective way to take some of the focus away from the mob and bring it back to the hospital, leading to what we all want most, balance!!!

Sorry this crap is so long; I think a lot when I drive. flower
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacy Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:28 am

KMC, those are really great ideas!

I think soaps will make the transition from network TV to cable TV just as they did from radio to TV in the past. I think w/ that transition though will come decreased pay and therefore we will lose some of the higher paid vets in the process. Once it balances out though we may see some of those vets return for either love of the craft or no work. Some pay is better than no pay. I don't know which shows will survive the transitions but I do think the Y & R, B & B and GH will last through it. It sucks for GL viewers & I hope for their sakes it continues on but I also hope that this is finally the wake up call to the genre as a whole. They need to start being more creative to keep this going!

Side note on GH specifically: I always think about this when I hear about character campaigns, like the letter campaigning between JaSam and Liason fans or the backlash of Michael's shooting or LnL2 backlash. Do you guys think that in a way this hurts the soaps? I know it is important as a viewer to write in and express which characters you love, hate etc...& if anyone has been part of any letter campaigns please don't take this as an accusation at all! I just wonder in our technological world if the fans take it too far when we don't get our way. Before you had to watch GH & read the mags to know what would happen. Now we can find out months in advance that a character is leaving, being replaced, moving on to a different love interest etc... I think partly that it takes away from the emotions that we used to experience. I cannot imagine what would have happened had I known that Brenda was dying in the car crash, that Sonny was leaving her at the alter, that Stone was going to get AIDS, die, & pass it on to Robin, that Jason was going to become part of the mob or that Lucky was going to die in the fire. I just wonder would they have had as strong of an impact as they did. If certain fan groups would have know about it would they have tried to change it? Would they have continued the way they did?? Hmm... who knows but just thing that I have been wondering I apologize for it being to long smile
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female
Number of posts : 2831

http://davidaware.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  samizgh Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:20 am

Stacy wrote:.... Before you had to watch GH & read the mags to know what would happen. Now we can find out months in advance that a character is leaving, being replaced, moving on to a different love interest etc... I think partly that it takes away from the emotions that we used to experience. I cannot imagine what would have happened had I known that Brenda was dying in the car crash, that Sonny was leaving her at the alter, that Stone was going to get AIDS, die, & pass it on to Robin, that Jason was going to become part of the mob or that Lucky was going to die in the fire. I just wonder would they have had as strong of an impact as they did.....

That my dear is the reason I am spoiler free and loving it. The last s/l that was spoiled for me was Michael getting shot. I see GH the way I used to and I love it. smooches

As far as product placement to keep it on the air, I'm all for that. But they don't have to say it 1,000 times. I can see and read it.
samizgh
samizgh
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnnyAngel Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Hey, KMR!! I love the idea of the scrubs tie in with "Scrubs". Do any of you watch Grey's Anatomy? It has been dropped on several occasions that Dr. Bailey is a GH fan. (The actress said once that it was written in b/c she loves GH in real life).
JohnnyAngel
JohnnyAngel
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyLuvsJason Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:26 pm

samizgh wrote:
Stacy wrote:.... Before you had to watch GH & read the mags to know what would happen. Now we can find out months in advance that a character is leaving, being replaced, moving on to a different love interest etc... I think partly that it takes away from the emotions that we used to experience. I cannot imagine what would have happened had I known that Brenda was dying in the car crash, that Sonny was leaving her at the alter, that Stone was going to get AIDS, die, & pass it on to Robin, that Jason was going to become part of the mob or that Lucky was going to die in the fire. I just wonder would they have had as strong of an impact as they did.....

That my dear is the reason I am spoiler free and loving it. The last s/l that was spoiled for me was Michael getting shot. I see GH the way I used to and I love it. smooches

As far as product placement to keep it on the air, I'm all for that. But they don't have to say it 1,000 times. I can see and read it.
Ditto from me! Exaclty the reason why I went spoiler-free. I really enjoy the show so much more now than the brief period I read spoilers. It's back to the way it should be for me. Not knowing...the way to go!
KathyLuvsJason
KathyLuvsJason
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female
Number of posts : 782
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post  samizgh Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Great minds, Kathy.

hug
samizgh
samizgh
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down