GH-Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Children's books (suggestions please)

+2
KegVaughanacoRocks
Stacy
6 posters

Go down

Children's books (suggestions please) Empty Children's books (suggestions please)

Post  Stacy Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:48 am

Okay all you parents, teachers, aunties etc....

I need suggestions for new books for my son smile

My son is an avid reader, 9 years old (4th grade) but he is not into the lil books so I ma beginning to run out of ideas for series for him. He has already read the Potter series, Eragon trilogy, Fire Star, all the Magic Tree House (& he is over them), the Unfortunate series etc...

He is going to check out the Percy Jackson books and I am going to read the Max series by Patteron to see if they are age appropriate but I would love if anyone has any other suggestions!

Thanks in advance!!!!
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female
Number of posts : 2831
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://davidaware.com/

Back to top Go down

Children's books (suggestions please) Empty Re: Children's books (suggestions please)

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:32 pm

has he read Holes by Louis Sachar? It is an awesome story, with both comedy and adventure. I would actually recommend anything by him because he's just that good IMO. Also, I have never read them, but my bf loves the lord of the rings series. I'm not sure how age appropriate that is but he could start on the hobbit. I think it's supposed to be for kids, right?
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 6295

Back to top Go down

Children's books (suggestions please) Empty Re: Children's books (suggestions please)

Post  Stacy Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:59 am

Thank You KMR!

I totally didn't think of Holes, I often forget it was a book LOL

The Hobbit is also an excellent idea. He loves the LOTR trilogy (movie wise) but I will have to read them first to make sure they are okay for him. I don't really sensor him w/ movies orbook but I like to check them out first. He wanted to read Twilight but I had to tell him no on that one. Not really because of the content but he is just way too young to understand the whole "dying for love" theme.
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  jasefan Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:44 pm

Maybe books by the Author named Roald Dahl
jasefan
jasefan
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 11379
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacy Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 am

TY smile
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  jasefan Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Your Welcome smile
jasefan
jasefan
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Has he read The Chronicles of Narnia?
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  jasefan Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:12 pm

Nancy Drew Series?
jasefan
jasefan
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacy Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:23 pm

KMonacoRocks wrote:Has he read The Chronicles of Narnia?

Yes Ma'am he read those ones a few years ago. I read them too for a children's lit class they were really good.
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 pm

I'll keep thinking. scratch
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacy Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 am

It's okay Kmon!!

I think I am going to try the Max books & the Olympia series & the Hobbits & then go from there. That should keep him busy for awhile smile

THANK YOU so much for your help!!!
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:38 am

I just know where he's coming from because that's exactly how I was when I was a kid. I always had to have at least one book that I was reading if not more or I would go nuts! I also had the same problem with being more advanced in reading than my other classmates so the teacher didn't keep books that I enjoyed around. Needless to say I was at the public library all the time!
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacy Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:15 am

KMR, Obviously I can use ALL the suggestions I could get & I REALLY appreciate them thank you U R the best!
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  ghsoaps Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:48 am

I read these series when I was a kid, Love the Lion the witch and the wodrobe
ghsoaps
ghsoaps
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 5858
Location : On top the pool table with Jason and Sonny, with a side of Nick
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  jasefan Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:57 pm

ghsoaps wrote:
I read these series when I was a kid, Love the Lion the witch and the wodrobe

Those are great books! :study:
jasefan
jasefan
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:52 am

How's your son doing with those books? Has he read The Giver? That one is supposed to be excellent.
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacy Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:12 pm

Hey KMR

We went to the library to get the Percy Jackson series & they didn't have the 1st ones so we went & looked at the Max seies by James Patterson! He is completely hooked LOL He has already read books 1 & 2 & is now on book 3. I decided to check them out & they are good. (not that I expect anything less from JP smile ). A few curse words but nothing major. So far he is loving it though!

I hadn't heard of the Giver I will check them out next!
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:56 am

These are geared toward girls, so I don't know about your son, but has anyone read the Pandora books by Carolyn Hennesey? I've heard that they are good, and I was listening to an interview of her where she was talking about them. They sound very interesting! They take place in the Greek mythology times, and Pandora takes the 'box' to Goddess School for show and tell. It gets opened and all the bad stuff comes out. She has to report to Zeus (I think) and he tells her that either her family will be banished or she has to go out and put everything right without her family's help. She decides to fix her mistake, and she with her friends go to find all the bad stuff and put it back. So the titles are things like Pandora gets Lazy, Pandora gets Jealous, Pandora gets Vain, etc. They sound good!
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyLuvsJason Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:09 am

KMonacoRocks wrote:I just know where he's coming from because that's exactly how I was when I was a kid. I always had to have at least one book that I was reading if not more or I would go nuts! I also had the same problem with being more advanced in reading than my other classmates so the teacher didn't keep books that I enjoyed around. Needless to say I was at the public library all the time!

I am totally the same way, I got nuts when I don't have something to read.

My suggestion, albeit a late one here, lol, would be to have him reread many books he has already read. You'll find as he has grown older he'll get different things out of it, as well as a more deeper understanding of what he is reading. We have a computer program they use in our elementary school that assesses reading levels as well as comprehension. As my kids have matured their reading level and true comprehension levels have gotten closer together. Just being able to read the words is one level, but the comprehension level is what truly separate the "advanced" students from the "regular" ones. It's all about critical thinking and how they students apply it.

I have to share the story of a new (to our school) pre-K student I had last year. His birthday was in November, which means he missed the Oct 1 cutoff by about 5-6 weeks. This student entered out school reading chapter books, not bad for a 4 yr old. I had the director of the school assess him, and she stopped when he was reading at a 4th grade level. She refused to give him anything more, since even though he could read the words, he was only comprehending at a 2nd grade level. Over the course of the school year I would give him all sorts of things to read to the class, adult (but not inapprorpiate) articles in magazines, etc. But when asked to explain or answer questions about what he read, he was still responding as a 2nd grader would be expected to.

That being said, the teacher hat has come off and the parent hat back on, my 11 yr old loves the Warrior series by Erin Hunter. He has read and reread those over and over again.
KathyLuvsJason
KathyLuvsJason
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female
Number of posts : 782
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacy Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Kathy!

I have had him look at the Warriors series but so far not interested. scratch

Right now he is reading the Eragon trilogy again & he did find a series that he liked plus he still is on Percy Jackson series as well.

I do have to say I HIGHLY recommend the Max series by James Patterson!!!
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  samismyhero Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:17 pm

I know these are old books but has he tried The Hardy Boys?

I've heard good things about Fablehaven.

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott starts off good I started reading the first book but its hard to get through anything with a 7 month old!

Thats all I can think of for a boy right now but I'm sure more will come to me.

Oh what about Gary Paulsen books?

Ok now I'm really done!
samismyhero
samismyhero
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female
Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  samismyhero Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:26 pm

ok one more lol Chris Crutcher has some really good books but you might want to check them out first they are for young adult.
samismyhero
samismyhero
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female
Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacy Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Thanks guys!!!

I really love the suggestions! Woohoo!!

Going to the library tomorrow so I will check them out!
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum