GH-Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples

5 posters

Go down

Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples Empty Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples

Post  AlexisDavisFanFirst Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:07 pm

I'm hoping its ok to post this here for discussion/debate/whatever but this is a question that's weighing heavily on my mind right now. Basically its this: Is it possible for the antics of a fanbase to turn you off of a character or a couple? What I mean is, if there is a couple or character that you're on the fence about or had a chance of liking, can the antics/behavior of a character or couple be enough to tip the scales in one direction or another?

Last edited by AlexisDavisFanFirst on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

AlexisDavisFanFirst
Hitman
Hitman

Female
Number of posts : 3131
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples Empty Re: Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples

Post  Stacy Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Tami, perfect place to put this!

Fanbases have never tipped me in one direction or another however, they have kept me from continuing to post at certain websites.

The fanbase love or hate can become very tiring just reading them. There is no thought process invoved in "well she's a slut" or "she has 2 kids from 2 dads" especially when the character's "virtue" is not involved in the discussion. I think all fans need to realize that they like the character/couple for a personal reason. They once related to that character or they watched the couple fall in love. There is NO perfect character or couple and I tend to respond better when a fan can say either that the character is being written out of character (but lets be honest, once written it becomes their character) or my character/ couple is wrong but I like them anyways and state the reasons why.

Tami, perfect example is Jerry & Alexis. I can state that I don't like him as a character but he did treat her good and after he was gone I missed him. I don't not like the pairing because I like her w/ someone else; I didn't like the character because he wronged Alan & Robin. Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples Lol But I can also say that as a pairing they worked and would've worked if they kept him on. Maybe one day I would've gotten over the Metro Crisis.

Fanbases seem to lose objectivity while debating. IMO as always! For the most part I will read what people on other boards say but I take it with a grain a salt if i know and associate them with a fanbase that causes problems on that board.

I will say that if I don't like a character already I will up my dislike if the fanbase is rude wink
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female
Number of posts : 2831
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://davidaware.com/

Back to top Go down

Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples Empty Re: Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples

Post  ISIS Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:08 am

What I hate is when

1. Ppl can't separate a character for the actor that plays them.

2. When folks can't reasonably debate they character or couple without it becomeing personal...like they're full of subjective attitude and no objectivity what so ever.

For example, Tami and I disagree on who Alexis should be with...but we engage in friendly, objective banter.

HOWEVER over on the Dallas forum...for YEARS there have been BITTER battles between the Sue Ellen fans and the Pam fans...and I DO mean BITTER.
ISIS
ISIS
Henchman
Henchman

Female
Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexisDavisFanFirst Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:37 am

Stacey, every word makes sense....I agree with all of it smile

Isis, you're so right. We're friends, we have fun debate and banter and we have a good time with it and never make it personal. That's why I love talking, debating and bantering with you so much Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples 435427

To tell you all where this all came from, what put this into my head. I was visiting another messageboard this afternoon. One particular fanbase (I won't name names to protect the innocent members of that fanbase and I won't name the board either) received some good news, so to speak, that made them very happy and excited for what was upcoming for their favorites. Very understandable. Lots of celebrating by these fans...again, understandable and good on them. What really started to turn me off was that things took a really strange turn where they started to basically taunt another fanbase and started to slam the other fanbase's favorites hard (one or two even going so far as to start insulting one of the actors in the second fanbase to someone who is a huge fan of this actor for no reason other than she was contemplating getting up the nerve to call into an interview show he was doing today). This really turned me off of this particular fanbase at this board because I just thought it was uncalled for. I thought it was fine that they were happy and celebratory by what they got, but to turn around and gloat the way they did was just ugly. THAT is what made me wonder if it was possible for SOME members of a fanbase and their behavior to turn a potential future fan against a character or couple because of said behavior.

See, its members like that of messageboards that make me so appreciate so much more that I was invited to be a member here because I truly believe we have the best crew of posters that I've ever seen on a messageboard that was not dedicated to one couple or character (this board and the GH Forum board both, actually). I love that we have such a diverse, intelligent group of folks here who can have their favorites and post together even with such differing opinions and still show so much respect for one another's opinions and favorites. Like Isis says, we can debate and banter but the respect for each other and the fun is still there. You all are truly the most wonderful group and I'm proud and honored to be among you all. Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples 895106 to all of my fellow Jokers here! Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples 566250 Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples 435427

And that's my little story of where the thoughts for this thread came from....I just hope I wasn't to whiny or ranty...LOL.

AlexisDavisFanFirst
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnnyAngel Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Ok, so on all of the other boards I cruise, there are 2 distinct camps... Liason & JaSam.

The Liason fans on this board (all 2 of them) Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples Lol are reasonable respectful adults. Over on SoapNet the war rages on & it is vicious. I can't post there anymore because I can't stand the sniping & berating each other & it's the Liason mostly attacking the JaSam.

I was never a Liason fan, or Liz for that matter, but if there had ever been a chance of me liking them, the Liason fans on the SoapNet board would have turned me off of them. I hope that answers your queston, Tam.

I also have to say that one of my favorite people to post with is KathyLuvsJason, because our opinions are so vastly different on Sam & Liz, but we are able to state our opinions & debate the issues & agree to disagree & never once has she ever called me an idiot for not agreeing with her. See, Liz fans & Sam fans can be friends. Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples Icon_rr
JohnnyAngel
JohnnyAngel
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female
Number of posts : 1088

Back to top Go down

Post  ISIS Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm one of those who prefers Liason to JaSam...mainly because I found Sam much more fun when she was with Lucky...and Jason...well I wanted him with his baby mama...BUT now..>I don't want him with EITHEr girl...i want either somebody new *that's already on canvas*...Lainey or Kelly anybody?....OR a NEW NEW girl for him.

And I actually wouldnlt mind it if Sam and dante' hooked up...although I know it won't happen.
ISIS
ISIS
Henchman
Henchman

Female
Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:43 am

luckygirl wrote:Ok, so on all of the other boards I cruise, there are 2 distinct camps... Liason & JaSam.

The Liason fans on this board (all 2 of them) Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples Lol are reasonable respectful adults. Over on SoapNet the war rages on & it is vicious. I can't post there anymore because I can't stand the sniping & berating each other & it's the Liason mostly attacking the JaSam.

I was never a Liason fan, or Liz for that matter, but if there had ever been a chance of me liking them, the Liason fans on the SoapNet board would have turned me off of them. I hope that answers your queston, Tam.

I also have to say that one of my favorite people to post with is KathyLuvsJason, because our opinions are so vastly different on Sam & Liz, but we are able to state our opinions & debate the issues & agree to disagree & never once has she ever called me an idiot for not agreeing with her. See, Liz fans & Sam fans can be friends. Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples Icon_rr

Replace the word SoapNet with SOC and you will get my view exactly!

Those two fanbases are constantly at war with each other, and it gets pretty ugly. People are rude to one another, belittling, and vile on some message boards when it comes to those two couples. I have seen other fanbases differ on opinions, but never to the level of those two. Before meeting the lovely people I know now, I thought I could never be friends with a Liz fan, but man, was I wrong! It all depends on how you go about declaring your love/hate. If it is done in a respectful manner, everything is cool! It's okay to disagree about some things; it keeps the world interesting! (Although I love finding someone who almost always agrees with me too! Fanbase antics affects on characters/couples 655924 )

I'm pretty sure that I have always made my opinion clear, but I hope that I have never been ugly with anyone.

I know we can sometimes get a little harsh with Liz or Sam or Claudia or Jerry or etc. around here at times, but I think we really try hard not to, and also understand that it isn't a personal attack to his/her fans or his/her portrayer.

I think one of the things that helps boards like ours is the rant/roasting section. When I really want to let Liz (or any other character that I hate) have it, I can go in there, have my say, and get it over with. If it is something I think needs debated, I can calm myself down enough to post my opinion in the General GH area and then roast her away in the proper place! For example, I don't agree with her treatment of Lucky (or tiic's either) so I made a post in the GH area, but when I felt the need to scream, I did it in the Liz hate thread. If someone loves her, they know they should just not read it. The same goes for Sam; when someone hates her, they can talk about it in her hate thread, and I can stay out! It's a win-win IMO!
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 6295

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexisDavisFanFirst Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:10 am

luckygirl wrote:Ok, so on all of the other boards I cruise, there are 2 distinct camps... Liason & JaSam.

I can tell you that one of the fanbases you mentioned is one of the fanbases I mentioned....the other is a different one, believe it or not....though I have seen the two you have seen get bad...LOL. I just don't get why folks can't get along with friendly debate and discussion. Where does getting ugly, taunting and gloating help anyone?

AlexisDavisFanFirst
Hitman
Hitman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down