GH-Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What characters do you consider UNrecastable?

5 posters

Go down

What characters do you consider UNrecastable? Empty What characters do you consider UNrecastable?

Post  KegVaughanacoRocks Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:19 pm

After the casting call for Sam, I have been wondering what characters everyone considers unrecastable. As much as I love Kelly Monaco, I personally believe that Sam is recastable although I would prefer Sam to leave if Kelly ever does. However, I hate how when an actor/actress leaves with much of the character's story untold.

Considering that Carly, a very front-burner character with tons of history/story and lots of potential for more story to be told, has been recast four times and three of those recasts have been extremely successful and popular, an argument could be made that with the right recast, any character could continue on if the portrayer left. However, there are some characters that many simply cannot imagine anyone else playing. Luke, Monica, Alan, and Tracy are the unrecastables for me. Even though Monica is a recast, Patsy Rahn (or is it Patty? Isis?) wasn't in the role for very long. I believe that almost anyone else could be, even Sam, my fave.

You constantly see on other message boards people asking if who should they recast _______ with, and so many people get very upset when it is someone they feel is unrecastable. I think if there is a need for a certain character, but the original portrayer does not want to return, the character should be recast. In my mind, a character is only unrecastable if they have been a central part of the cast for many, many, many years consistently and have been the only person who portrayed the character or have played the character more than half the time that the character has been on the canvas.

What does everyone else think?
KegVaughanacoRocks
KegVaughanacoRocks
Mafioso
Mafioso

Female
Number of posts : 6295
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

What characters do you consider UNrecastable? Empty Re: What characters do you consider UNrecastable?

Post  AlexisDavisFanFirst Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 pm

I only watch GH so I can only comment on that one. For ME, I'd never want to see Alexis, Stefan or Nikolas recast, but in regards to the big picture, the only TRULY unrecastable character on GH is Luke Spencer. As much as I'd hate to see my Cassadines recast (and we all know Helena is a third time recast) and as much as I personally would never be able to accept other actors in the roles, when it comes to saying a character's name and seeing only one face, Luke is the only one who really comes to mind.

JMHO, of course.

AlexisDavisFanFirst
Hitman
Hitman

Female
Number of posts : 3131
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

What characters do you consider UNrecastable? Empty Re: What characters do you consider UNrecastable?

Post  Stacy Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:00 pm

I think that the only characters that would be very hard to recast are the long time characters. Characters that are known and recognizable as their character outside the soap world like Luke, Erica Kane, & Marlena Evans. (the few that come to mind I am sure there are more). I cannot imagine many characters being recast but I am sure they would work in the end. I think it is always dependent on the person that fills the role. When Edward was recasted a few years back & JI went to Days I adjusted after awhile but I still seen JI as Edward Q when I watched Days but the new guy grew on me on GH. Again w/ Tamara Braun when watching AMC at first all I could see was Carly but then Reese as a character grew on me & I could finally see the character on AMC not the old Carly.
Stacy
Stacy
Hitman
Hitman

Female
Number of posts : 2831

http://davidaware.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnnyAngel Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:03 pm

I could not or would not accept any other actress as Alexis Davis, Monica or Tracey Quartermaine. Luke, of course could never be, I would hate it if Lucky were recasted because I love Greg, but if they got an equally hot actor (as if that existed, hehe) & he was a good actor I would prolly adjust, same with Sam, or Jason, wouldn't like it, but after time I could adjust.
JohnnyAngel
JohnnyAngel
Bank Robber
Bank Robber

Female
Number of posts : 1088

Back to top Go down

Post  ISIS Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:55 pm

First...to answer Elaina...Yes, the first Monica was played bty Patsy Rahn...she was "all right" as Monica...but then Leslie came in and totally made Monica what she is today...she DEFINED her....I CANNOT see ANYBODY else ever playing her.

Same for Tracy *although the role was briefly recast for a while*...same for Alexis, Luke, Laura *which is also a recast*, Robin, Robert, any of the Old school characters that still come and go...they've cemented their roles.

there will never be another Sonny, Spinelli, or Brenda for me...any recast just could not work as those actors truly sybolize the characters.

As much as I LURVE John Ingle as Edward...and I really do lurve him...David Lewis STILL is the REAL EDDIE Q to me.

Just like Anna Lee will FOREVER be Lila...they knew they could NEVER recast that role so they killed the character when the actress died....as they did Steve, Jessie, and Aunt Ruby.

Heather Webber was played by three different actresses...some say Robin Mattsen "watered" down the role...Check the history of Heather and make your own decision there.

As with Monica...sometimes the rescast is the BEST thing to happen to it...and then sometimes the recast *re: Jennifer Bransford's Carly*...falls flat.

Sometimes the recast...while the most memorable...and pretty awesome in theri own right, *Erika Slezak's Viki*...had BIG shoes to fill when they began *she replaced Gillian Spencer who later went on to be Daisy Cortland on AMC before going behind the camera*

Another example of a recast that took...Opal on AMC...Now I still prefer the FIRST Opal as played by Dorothy Lyman over the longer running, Jill Larson. *Did you know both Dorothy and Jill went to the same high school?*...the list goes on...because I happen to like Both Hillary B. Smith and Ellen Dolan as Margo on ATWT...both we recasts mind you...as is Tom...Emily...oh gosh on there the list TRULy goes on.

But then I can never see anybody else playing Nancy, Lisa, Bob, Susan, Lila, Lucinda, John, or Kim....Nor could I see a recast with Jessica Griffin, because Tamara Tunie definitely made that role her own.

Like I said...the list goes on and on...and I didn't even get to Y&R...but HONESTLY can you Really see ANYBODY playing, Kay, Nikki, or Victor? Huh...Can you?

what about Cricket? If she were to return...and Lauralee Bell NOT in the role...would you like the character still?

I remember when Jill was first recast...with Deborah Adair *who was the third Jill btw*...I dind't like her because she wasn't Brenda Dickson...I still LURVE Brenda's portrayal of naughty and at times nasty Jill...But I've come to appreciate Jess Walton's Jill as well.

OK...I've gone on long enough on this...I think you get where I'm going here.
ISIS
ISIS
Henchman
Henchman

Female
Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down